Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Stuart Mclean with some solemn advice

It's a small guilty pleasure that I rarely like to admit, but I subscribe to Stuart Mclean's podcast. For those unfamiliar, he's a Canadian storyteller (some would replace 'a' with 'the') who's known for traveling the country and fictional stories about a husband who, despite faultless intentions, never seems to get it right. It's light-hearted feel is usually a good note to end the day on.

I was about to do that tonight when, rather than being lulled to sleep by a Stuart's somehow soothing staccato, I was stirred by an unexpected political message. Political, yes, but served with the same amount of tact and friendliness that characterizes the relationship between Sam and Morley, his literary puppets. This is the kind of opinion I'd like to read in the place of Rex Murphy's confused but more often pointless column in the Saturday Globe and Mail.

I strongly suggest downloading this podcast, especially if you're Canadian, and mulling over Mcleans' thoughts about what's missing in Canadian culture.

Until I find an easier way to download this podcast you'll have to follow these instructions:

1) Open Itunes
2) Go to the itunes stores and type "vinyl cafe stories"
3) Click "CBC Radio: Vinyl Cafe Stories" under where it says podcasts
4) Listen to Feb. 14 "Official languages"

Let me know what you think...

No comments: